Sunday, September 02, 2018

Busy times with friends

Gosh, we've had a busy few days. Al took the opportunity of Banbury station to go down to Surrey to see her Sister Jo, and on Saturday we were in Reading visiting Joy & Steve for dinner, and a lovely time was had by all.
We were up early on Sunday as we wanted to get to Cropredy and beat the rain that was forecast. We set off at 6.15am and crept past the moored boats at Banbury.
After filling with water, it was the town lock and lift bridge. We carried on through the lovely countryside and the next three locks making our way to Cropredy.
On reaching Cropredy lock it started to drizzle. We waited for a boat to come down the lock and Al had spotted a space at the top that we would fit in. With the rain now starting to get heavy, we moored up just in time!
We needed to be here to meet Steve & Deb who were coming up to see us for a couple of days. They arrived just after lunch and we hunkered down in Derwent6, catching up and chillin' out. We had booked a table at the Brasenose for the evening and luckily when it was time to go the rain had stopped. We had a lovely meal, and with full tummies we walked back to Derwent6 ready to crash.
Bank Holiday Monday dawned bright and we set off to take Steve & Deb on a trip. We got to the Claydon flight and we were number five in the queue, Steve was soon on the tiller.
The first time we have queued for locks this year! So we put the kettle on!
Once in the flight they were easy going as there were so many boats coming down as well.
Good job we had a horse with us...
We got to Fenny Compton and there was one space left, just perfect for Derwent6!
After a quick change we walked down to the Merrie Lion as they had a sausage & cider festival on for the weekend.
There were loads of ciders to try, and good they were too! Steve & Deb treated us to a lovely meal, thanks guys!
We waddled back to the boat and decided to move on for an hour and moor up in the countryside. We got to the Ariel's, and there was plenty of space albeit a bit shallow. We got moored up and then had a few more drinks and some cheese and biscuits to finished off a lovely day.
Steve & Deb were leaving us the next day, and had a taxi booked from the Folly to take them back to their car, so we set off for the Napton flight and were pleasantly surprised to find no queues.
With extra crew to help, we were down the flight with ease and moored up at the Folly in time for a spot of lunch on board.
We have had a really lovely weekend, lots of fun!

No comments: