Sunday, November 18, 2012

No Success, so try and try again

Well we had no water pump noises over night and things looked good on the calorifier front. That is until Del got up and checked it out. It had a very small weep underneath it and a small pin hole was found by the split. Del got the soldering iron out to plug it up, bad move. All it did was open it all up again!
So it was drain the tank and start again. Well we tried it with a really neat joint, it still leaked, so we tried with a untidy joint, it still leaked, then we tried it with a bucket load of solder, and it leaked again. After using a hundred and fifty litres of water we came to the conclusion that solder was not going to fix this joint. It did stop the leak enough for us to have a shower though! We are going to now try brazing it, once we get a brazing stick or we may ask the boatyard on Monday if they could do it for us. We still always have Plan B.....

4 comments:

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser http://nbharnser.blogspot.com said...

You may have more luck putting a patch on it, A piece of thin copper

Wozie said...

What rotten luck, we hope that all will be resolved as soon as possible.

Colin said...

Hi both,
There is a material called 'emetal' that is available from most motor factors. It is mixed like araldite and sets hard enough to be drilled, filed etc.
You should be able to by a small enough quantity to try to fix this small job.
It's really good for filling holes in steel when you have removed a fixture and want to seal it up.
Good luck

Del and Al said...

Hi Brian, Thanks, yep if this latest fix doesn't work, will try that route...

Hi Wozie, thanks, it's a pain but we're getting there, See you soon x

Hi Colin, Thanks, have just tried something similar to emetal, so great tip...